The park is a great place to go for a mental health boost, fresh air, physical activity and a sense of community. Parks also represent a place to help us feel healthier, happier, fulfilled and connected.
Due to the coronavirus, some parks have closed or have limited services. Before heading out, there are a few things you should know:
1. Water Fountains: Take your own water because there are limited water fountains with running water.
2. Restroom Facilities: Don’t drink too much water because some restroom facilities are closed so you may want to stay close to home or become familiar with nearby facilities that are open to the public.
3. Practice physical distancing: Don’t be afraid to stay 6 feet away from others because they are trying to stay 6 feet away from you. Don’t take it personally.
4. Say “hi”: It’s okay to make eye contact, speak, wave, nod or just say “hi” while maintaining proper distancing. We still want to acknowledge others and be polite.
5. Paths: Be prepared to take an alternate route because all paths are not accessible.
6. Boot Camps/ Personal Training: Personal training or boot camp sessions are more apparent and you may be tempted to jump in and work out too. DON’T! Most likely these are private sessions paid for by its members, but it’s ok to ask. If you are participating in a boot camp, make sure you’re maintaining proper distancing.
No one knows for sure how long the pandemic will last. The hope is that it will resolve sometime over the next several months. It is important that we take precautions no matter where we are. The sooner we beat it, the sooner we can get back to living better lives.
Denise and Reginald (the Watkins Team RE), we believe in venturing out, maintaining good health, and finding new experiences. During the coronavirus pandemic, we are using extreme caution to protect ourselves, families and communities. We know that maintaining an active lifestyle is one of the ways to stay healthy. If you can’t make it to the park, walk in your neighborhood and always stay tuned and listen to the latest reports regarding the coronavirus.