OUR NEW ADDRESS IS...
After you have signed the deed and received the keys to your new home, you begin to experience a new kind of excitement, right! Owning a home is an exciting and rewarding experience and there’s nothing quite like the feeling of walking into the doors of your new home. That is the feeling of home ownership.
Many new homeowners sometime make big mistakes after they’ve unpacked and have gotten settled into their new home. Here are a few important things you should do after you’ve taken possession of your new home:
- Change the address on your Driver’s License or Identification Card: Changing the address on your driver’s license or identification card will update your information, so that you receive timely registration notifications and renewal information. If you request a change of address card, there’s no fee. However, there is a fee if you request a new license or ID card.
- Notify your Insurance Service Provider: You must notify your insurance provider of your change of address, so that you receive timely information regarding due dates for payments, renewals and other communication. Some Maryland drivers who change their address could receive a lower rate or better insurance coverage.
- Purchase a Home Warranty: A home warranty is an annual contract that covers the repair or replacement of important appliances and systems components that break down over time. Not to be confused with homeowner’s insurance that protects your home from things that might happen like fires, theft or natural disasters.
- Change the Locks on Every Door: Security is a concern for every homeowner. Most people create spare copies of their keys and give them to neighbors, contractors, friends and to other family members. I don’t know about you, but the idea of strangers having keys to my house is unsettling. If you have a garage key pad, you should change the combination code on that as well.
- Budget as a New Homeowner: If you have never budgeted, now is a good time to start because there are expenses you will incur as a homeowner that you may not have thought of before. Mortgage, utilities, repairs and upkeep, HOA fees, home maintenance, and lawn services are just some of the expenses that could cost you to overspend if you don’t plan for them.
Now that you know some of the biggest mistakes homeowners make after they’ve purchased their home it’s time for you to make the most of your home and enjoy living in it with comfort.
If you have a home to sell or are looking to purchase a home, then you need professional agents who cares about the needs of their client’s. The Watkins Team RE is here to assist you before, during and after the sell.
Contact Denise or Reginald of the Watkins Team RE with Tristar Realty and we will help you with all your real estate needs.